To Know Your Treatment Options / What is Kidney Transplantation?
A kidney transplant is a surgery, during which a healthy kidney from a donor (called kidney graft) is placed inside the front of your abdomen. Your own kidneys are usually not removed. The kidney may come from a deceased organ donor (a person who is dying in a hospital) or from a living donor.
Kidney transplantation is associated with:
- A better quality of life
- Better short- and long-term survival rate for many patients
- Fewer dietary restrictions
- Preventing possible complications and deterioration of recipients health
- Longer functioning time o the graft compared to deceased donor kidney graft
- Less complications during and after surgery
- Less time spent on a waiting list
- The transplant may be scheduled in advance once the donor is approved as opposed to a potential emergency transplant procedure when a patient is.