To Know the Basics About Kidney Health / Why are my kidneys important?
Kidneys help keep us healthy by performing many important roles in the body
- The kidneys act as filters – cleansing the blood of toxins and removing waste through urine.
- Kidneys maintain a careful balance of water, salt, and minerals that our cells need to function properly.
- Kidneys also release hormones that affect blood pressure, red blood cell production, and the activation of Vitamin D.
If kidney function is impaired, the kidneys won’t complete their jobs as well
- A buildup of harmful toxins and fluid can occur if the kidneys do not filter waste properly.
- If hormone production is too high or too low, health concerns such as high blood pressure (hypertension), a low red blood cell count (anemia) and poor Vitamin D absorption may result.
- For more information about kidney function, click here
“Kidneys play a crucial role in our general health and the functioning of our bodies. While most people have two kidneys, one healthy kidney can still perform the duties we need to live a healthy life!”